Baby's First Doctor Visit
Within the first week of taking your baby home, your pediatrician will want to examine him or her to make sure baby is thriving. Here are some topics you can expect to be covered at that appointment:
- Safe sleeping habits: Babies should always be laid to sleep on their back, in a crib or bassinet, and in a smoke-free environment.
- Breastfeeding vs. bottle feeding: Any difficulties the mother and/or baby are having should be discussed.
- Evaluation for jaundice (a yellowing of the skin): This can be made worse if baby isn’t getting enough milk.
- Hiccups, sneezing, rash and watery stool: all normal during this time period.
- Introducing solids: while it’s still too early to offer solids to your baby, you can begin to talk about it with your doctor.
- Baby blues or depression: if you’re worried about how you’re feeling or reacting to your baby, please discuss this with your doctor. You’re not alone. Help is available.
Click here for to watch a short video on your health insurance options.
Click here for a list of recommended vaccinations, and the schedule in which a child should receive them.
For more information about available services in Palm Beach County, call Children's Services Council at 1.888.634.7900.